Since their last outing in 2011’s The Muppets, fans have been clamoring for new stories. Thankfully, the Muppets Most Wanted already seems a worthy successor. The movie will be released March 21, 2014.
Here are five things that promise to make the new Muppets movie cool:
1. Kermit Finally Gets an Arch Nemesis Kermit the Frog gets his first real arch nemesis in Constantine, dubbed the “World’s Number One Criminal.” Although the only distinguishing mark between Kermit and Constantine is a facial mole, our lovable frog is in very deep trouble.
2. Ricky Gervais Plays an Important Role The star of the UK’s The Office and current star of the Netflix original Derek, Gervais is a comedic actor who’s always interesting to watch. He knows how to bring an audience in with whatever character he plays, so his portrayal of Dominic Badguy (pronounced “Badgee” because we’re told it’s French) should be a blast. The trailer definitely gives us a funny intro to his character.
3. There’s an Air of Mystery Granted, the movie isn’t supposed to play it too straight but the trailer does have a sense of mystery and foreboding that makes you say, “I’ve got to see that.” In fact, judging from the trailer, the movie seems as if it’s going to be a nonstop adventure yarn with a few surprises thrown in. From London, Germany, Berlin and other locales, the film seems mighty ambitious for a family movie. It’s kind of like a James Bond flick starring the Muppets. Hopefully we’ll see muppets with some Bond-esque gadgets like a pen with a laser-gun watch or watch with a mosquito trap. What more could you ask for?
4. It’s a Team Action Movie (really) If Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone can return to the big screen as action stars, albeit with mixed results, shouldn’t the Muppets get a shot? Gonzo, Miss Piggy, Animal, Fozzie and the gang, are geared to help Kermit in his quest to clear his name. Teamwork can be infectious and audiences simply eat it up, especially when one of the heroes walks away from an explosion after doing something skillfully impressive. This isn’t hinted at in the trailer, but it might happen. If not, there’s always the prospect of a karate chop by Miss Piggy.
5. It’s a Family Movie that Actually Looks Cool Family movies are designed with the kiddies in mind and offer some nice tip of the hats to the adults. Muppets Most Wanted has a certain appeal that should interest, as the saying goes, “kids of all ages.” With so many violent movies hitting the big screen these days, it’s good to have a film you can take the whole family to watch. This could be the beginning of a viable Muppet franchise.